Hi! My dear Iran ♥
Happy Chaharshanbe Suri
(The words Chahar Shanbeh mean Wednesday and Suri means red, party)
In the evening of the last Tuesday of each year, Iranians celebrate a fire festival with its roots in the ancient customs and history of the country. People set up bonfires in the streets and jump over them to cleanse themselves of all the misfortunes and impurities of the past year and get ready to welcome the coming New Year.
While jumping over the fire people sing: zardi-ye man az to, sorkhi-ye to az man, literally: my sickly yellow paleness is yours; your fiery red color is mine. It is customary on this night for families to buy different dried nuts, fruits and sweets. They also prepare a kind of noodle soup.
Although the origin of the fire festival in Persia turns back to 1700 BC, setting up fires in Chaharshanbe Suri became more popular after the arrival of Islam. From the Muslim period onwards many Iranian customs and festivals began to fade away and some have disappeared completely.
Iranians who were concerned about preserving their culture tried to save their rites and customs from extinction. One solution was to protect them under the veil of Islamic practice. They chose the last Wednesday of the year, since Arabs believed that Wednesday is unlucky and a day of bad omens and that n such days, people should feast and be happy not to let devils and genies enter their souls. So Iranians shifted their fire festival to Wednesday in order to celebrate their traditional customs and save them from Arab influence.
Dictators must go
135 Notes/ Hide
- ymeria likes this
- vibeyardvibes likes this
- maxdigitalmarketing likes this
- dokhtarirooni likes this
- bolshah likes this
- stardevil653 reblogged this from annehathawaywithwords
- annehathawaywithwords reblogged this from sunnipersians
- its-a-dark-paradis3 likes this
- pursuit-of-success reblogged this from sunnipersians
- h000k4h reblogged this from sunnipersians
- your-fucking-highness likes this
- wokeup-in-wonderland likes this
- crocodilescry likes this
- never--knows--best likes this
- yeganehtavakoli likes this
- trionnay likes this
- peppypersian reblogged this from sunnipersians
- infixity-on-high reblogged this from sunnipersians
- sunnipersians posted this